Monday, April 16, 2018

Assignment 28A - Your Exit Strategy


Assignment 28A

1. Identify the exit strategy you plan to make. Do you intend to sell your business in the next 5 years for a large return?  Do you intend to stay with the business for several decades and retire? Do you intend to protect the venture as a family business, and pass it down to your children?
I plan on selling the business within 5-10 years strategically to a company who wants to absorb my customer base and has an infrastructure that can support the transition. Whether to be a lump sum payment or royalty set up, a partner such as Study Edge would be someone that would potentially be interested in my product down the road, and after I show a propensity to grow as a business and offer them an avenue for revenue that they currently are without: a subscription-based service.

2.Why have you selected this particular exit strategy?
This particular exit strategy makes the most sense for a multitude of reasons, first being the immediate return for all my hard work with the business in terms of finances. However, my motivations to complete this strategy are not just dollars and cents, as the emotion and passion that I instill within this product does not automatically go away. Therefore, if I was to sell 5-10 years down the road, I would like to see it go to a company that will use it and show its full potential with a wider audience, which is why someone like Study Edge that has national connections is especially intriguing.

3. How do you think your exit strategy has influenced the other decisions you've made in your concept? For instance, has it influenced how you have identified an opportunity? Has it influenced your growth intentions or how you plan to acquire and use resources?
I think my exit strategy was probably one of the first things I came up with, and therefore lead me to have creative discussions that would result in a product that is similar in a way to a given educational structure, but different in ways that would result it being a financially feasible buyout. I think it hasn’t totally changed the way I would approach the day-to-day operations, however, as I would like to create growth over time that will intrigue outside buyers, but only I can say when I feel it was maxed out creatively with myself at the helm.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew,
    I agree with your exit strategy where I would want to sell my business within the next 5-10 years. I would want to see it go to a company that would take care of it and really want it to go grow from where it would be at the point I would sell. I think its good to a have a goal to sell your business and earn a profit from the hard work that you have put in. I like to think that I could run a business to a certain extent and then another company could run it and run it better at a larger scale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way you do in terms of the passion for business. I also want to successfully develop my company but don't have a burning interest in it so planning to sell was the best option. Planning to sell your business doesn't mean it will be less profitable or produce a worse product that if you were staying in long term. So, I think you made a good choice for your exit strategy as it will make you the most satisfied while still allowing the business to succeed.

    ReplyDelete