Friday, March 23, 2018

Assignment 20A - Growing Your Social Capital


Assignment 20A
1) One person must be a domain expert in your industry: Sam Perkins, customer service representative for Smokin Notes, is a domain expert within my industry and could be an asset to my initial launch of my company. A friend since we were in Middle School, he would have the expertise to show me the way and help me figure out customer distribution and may even become an asset to my company at a certain point. This relationship is mostly one-sided in my favor, but I would incentivize his help in areas such as food.
2) One person must be an expert on your market: Todd Van Graff, a technical analyst that oversees technical customer acquisition at Siemens, who also happens to be my uncle, would be key in helping me navigate the online subscription business model and any complaints with technical support. Because my online strategy is a key to my business plan, this is potentially the most important relationship. For a relatively low price or no charge because of family ties, this could make or break my initial business and be either a big asset or what holds me back.
3) One person must be an important supplier to your industry: Jordan Morang, a manager at Rifle Paper Co. who is one of my cousin’s best friend, can be someone who would be key with my potential business for supply purposes. I would be a potential successful client for Jordan and in a similar manner he said he would provide a friends and family discount that would jumpstart business without unnecessary overhead costs. This is a worthy combination that is mutually beneficial to both parties.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew,
    It seems like you have a very good social network base to begin your business in delivering class content to students. I think the biggest advantage you have would be the smokin' notes representative as from the sounds of it, they would be your biggest competitor. With that, you could analyze what they do in their day to day business and see how what they do could help improve your business. Or take what they do and try and do it better or in a more efficient way. Plus food is always a good incentive for people to help you out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It appears that you have a great extended network through friends and family. The technical support from your uncle would be a great asset. It is also important to understand the business partner relationship and you being a client for the paper manager while utilizing his goods would benefit both of you. The industry customer service expert could give you insight into how to get your business going.

    ReplyDelete